As an electrician or owning a home full of appliances, you must be concerned about what HVAC multimeter you can use in your devices.
First and foremost, you have to understand the nature and the main work of the HVAC multimeter. The tools are generally used for the diagnosis and troubleshooting of the wiring and electronic appliances.
- What to Look for in a HVAC Multimeter
- Best HVAC Multimeter Compared
- Best HVAC Multimeter: Brief Reviews
What to Look for in a HVAC Multimeter
When choosing a multimeter for your work, there are several features that you must consider before stepping out to buy or order your meter online. Some of the features you have to consider are discussed below;
Consider the Durability
Ask yourself what can happen if your meter breaks before carrying out the job? Unfortunately, most of these multimeters are commonly used by professionals technicians. You sometimes need to leave for a while before using them. Just give them a short time to be more malfunctioning after being left untouched to gain some moisture. For this reason, you have to buy a meter designed to last long to avoid buying every time.
Don’t Ignore the Accuracy
What do you need an inaccurate multimeter for? First, remember that your meter should give you accurate measurements. Then the hard question is, how do you tell the accuracy of a meter? Very simple, you don’t have to buy one; instead, you can check on their online reviews and get the suitable one for you.
How does it Operate?
From the reviews outlined below, some multimeters are very hard to operate. So make sure when you purchase, you don’t buy those meters with complicated features. Instead, go for the ones which are easy to use.
Measurement is very Crucial
The HVAC multimeter has many necessary things to measure, starting from voltage, resistance, capacitance, and continuity. However, knowing that not all meters can measure these things, you have to be careful and ensure you buy a meter that is evitable for measurements. Also, make sure you don’t sacrifice versatility over the measurement models.
Best HVAC Multimeter Compared
Best HVAC Multimeter: Brief Reviews
The HVAC multimeter reviews anything running on electricity starting from switches, outlets, and wires. Thanks to its versatility, it is very safe and accurate in checking the electrical currents in all electronic appliances. It is also called the Volt-ohm meter.
1. Best Overall: Fluke 116 HVAC Multimeter
- Built in thermometer for HVAC applications
- Microamps to test flame sensors
- LoZ: helps prevent false readings due to ghost voltage
- Large white LED backlight to work in poorly lit areas
- Resistance, continuity, frequency and capacitance
If you are a technician who wants a perfect multimeter, Fluke 116 is here to help you to perfect your skills. Its pocket-friendly and high popularity have made it outperform various HVAC multimeters.
If you are looking for a more efficient multimeter, a fluke multimeter is a right choice. It has a unique ergonomic design, which makes you feel comfortable when using it.
As an electrician or a technician, you require very lightweight machines for your effective movement. And that is where Fluke 116 multimeter serves you well. It is very light and compact, making it easy to move around. In addition, handling it has never been that difficult as you may think.
Thanks to white, large backlit LED screens, reading and viewing the readings plus testing results is very easy. Fluke 116 is compatible with a magnetic handle makes it easy to carry. Who wouldn’t love or like such a multimeter? It comes with a complete package.
Fluke 116 is the best fluke multimeter for HVAC and commercial electrical work. There is also a built-in thermostat that can be used with HVAC appliances.
The low impedance input well-equipped in this multimeter can prevent and decrease the risk of false readings. Fluke 116 can be used both at home and as a commercial, thanks to its reliability and safety brought about by the safety ranking of category III 600V. The battery life of this multimeter takes up to 200 hours.
2. Best Klein Multimeter for HVAC – Klein Tools MM600
- Multimeter measures up to 1000V AC/DC voltage, 10A AC/DC current and 40MOhms resistance plus temperature, capacitance,...
- Digital Mulimeter has CAT IV 600V / CAT III 1000V safety rating
- Built to endure a 6.6-foot (2 m) drop and withstand daily wear and tear on the job site
- Low battery indicator and easily accessible battery and fuse replacement compartment
- For use in basic and controlled electromagnetic environments such as residential, business and light-industrial locations
If you are looking for a multimeter under 100$, Klein Tools MM600 is best for you. Klein Tools MM600 is best for its price and functionality. Its price is very reasonable, meaning it is not that cheap or expensive. In terms of accuracy, it is not entirely accurate though it can measure anything you expect.
Its endurance build-up is a 6.6-foot drop, which isn’t that high. It has a nice additional feature; the low battery indicator that looks excellent. It is also easy to access and change the replacement fuse. This multimeter doesn’t even work well when used on high-voltage readings.
Therefore, you are required to use it to read only 6A of continuous current. Using it past reading 6A of constant current can make it not work at all. Don’t depend too much on the product description since the details outlined can be misleading.
The Klein multimeter comes with a lot of disappointments if you don’t know how to handle it. So far, you need to hire a technician for technical issues.
- Not viable for reading high measurements
3. Best Fieldpiece Multimeter for HVAC – Fieldpiece HS36
- The HS36 works with all Fieldpiece accessory heads enabling the user to test a wider variety of parameters from a single...
- Auto Ranging: The HS36 is an auto ranging meter and is very accurate.
- Non-Contact Voltage Indication: The NCV function is sensitive enough to detect 24VAC on thermostats.
- High Voltage and Continuity Indicators: The Hi-V LED/Beeper for circuits over 30V. The continuity LED and beeper tells you if...
- Microamps for measuring the flame diode current in a heater control -- Capacitance for motor-start and motor-run capacitors.
Looking for a very easy handle multimeter? Look no more; Fieldpiece HS36is precisely the best option for you. It has a magnetic hanger, not forgetting silicone test leads that are detachable, and for the remote, there are alligator clip probe tips.
The expandable multimeter has a complete set of in-built safety features. Additionally, Fieldpiece is the best HVAC tech multimeter for non-contact voltage indication. It includes all the HVAC field services you use every day.
It has a bright blue backlight and True RMS. It doesn’t only have a digital feature, but it also has an analog feature brought about by a bar graph on the LCD. So if you are a technician who loves digital life, try to use and stick to this multimeter type.
Using HS36 enables you to work with all fieldpiece accessory heads to test the parameters in variety using just one meter. When handling this meter, you don’t have to use two hands; removing test tip leads and an alligator probe for testing a snap can be safely used with one hand.
Make sure you also go through the safety practices and the operator’s manual before the test you follow any industrial rules. It will enhance your safety when testing and carrying your current device.
- It has a very small backlit
4. Best Professional HVAC Multimeter – Triplett 1101-B
- 19 ranges including AC/DC Voltage to 600V, DC Current to 10A, Type K Temperature and Transistor hFE Test
- 3-1/2 digit, 1999 count backlit display
- Diode and continuity tests
- Rubberized boot provides impact and drop resistance in a sleek ergonomic design; Auto Power Off helps maximizes battery life
- Includes test leads with alligator clips, Type K bead probe and 9V battery
Where great performing multimeters matter, Triplet 1101 can never miss on the list. It has a lot of features that are more beneficial to HVAC technicians. Make sure you have it around your home if you are a technician or know handling a multimeter. Furthermore, it also gives you enough reason to have this vital equipment at your home.
The auto power-off feature in this 3-1/2 meter ensures no battery wastage. Readings can also be taken accurately due to the presence of a large backlit. There is also built-in overload protection, which takes care of other meter settings. Its resistance ranges from 2M to 200ohms.
5. Best HVAC Clamp Multimeter – Mestek 6000
- ♞ PERFECT MEASURING- 2-3 times/sec for sampling, quickly solve the safety problems of automotive and household...
- ♞ NCV INDUCTION & VFC INVERTER MEASUREMENT FUNCTION-Turn the rotary swith to the NCV gear and close to the lead being...
- ♞ DATA HOLD BACKLIGHT BUTTON & lOW BATTERY INDICATION-Press the "HOLD" button,the last reading measured on the display will...
- ♞ STABLE & RELIABLE-Made using high-quality plastic material, which gives the thermometer a very nice drop protection....
- ♞ SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL CERTIFICATION- EN61010-1,-2-030, EN61010-2-032 600V CAT III & ROHS/REACH.We strive to make the...
Are you looking for a multimeter to solve your electrical problems at home or as a commercial? Look no more. Mestek will solve your problem very fast and safely. It has an automatic clamp meter, which is very accurate and safe.
The Mestek auto range clamp meter is a perfect measuring device for troubleshooting that can solve all your electrical problems at home. It is also versatile and easy to read. In dark places, there is an LCD with a large backlight that provides better visibility.
In addition, any data error caused by the magnetic earth field is reduced by zero, leading to more accurate measurements. The functionality of this tool is numerous.
It has automatic switches that sleep after 30 minutes, hence saving some energy. Just see how resourceful the multimeter is. The data hold function also brings about a low battery display. It also comes with some free additional features such as measuring leads, free batteries, and free test leads.
- Mostly appropriate for professionals
6. Best Cheap HVAC Multimeter – Klein Tools CL312
- Clamp Meter with automatically ranging true mean squared (TRMS) technology for increased accuracy
- Measures AC current via the clamp and AC/DC voltage, DC microamps, resistance, continuity, frequency, capacitance and test...
- Thermocouple probe measures temperature
- Built to withstand a 3.3-foot (1 m) drop
- CAT III 600V, Class 2, Double insulation safety rating
Are you looking for an automatically ranging TRMS clamp meter? Don’t look anywhere again; Klein tool CL312 is here for you. It also has a thermocouple for measuring temperature.
On the safety side, measuring both resistance and continuity on live circuits is not correct. Go through the attached measurement devices to ensure you follow all the instructions, warnings, and cautions. Measure the known voltage to ensure you verify the meter operation before using it.
Also, there is a diode test that is used to troubleshoot the malfunctioning diodes. The auto range improves efficiency and speed when doing measurements. If you want to increase this tool’s accuracy, the automatically ranging TRMS will sort you out. It is also built to withstand a 3.3-foot drop.
It has a safety rating indicated by CAT III 600V, Class 2, and double installation. There is a backlight provision that ensures enough light to do the reading in the transparent reading case. The tool also powers off automatically when not in use after 15 minutes, making it conserve battery life.
On the usage, don’t expose your meter to any electrical storms and wet weather. And if you notice any damage or broken part in your meter, don’t continue using it since you can damage it entirely. Klein is also associated with a family name in the United States, and they are the most leading manufacturer since they provide high-quality products.
With all the multiple HVAC options available in the market, making a decision on which HVAC multimeter is suitable for you shouldn’t be an uphill task—choosing a multimeter that suits your need, whether analog or digital, is the easiest thing to carry out.
Take your time choosing the right one, and make sure you understand the appliances you’re going to use your multimeter on. The environmental conditions should also be a consideration when selecting a suitable meter. Additionally, make sure you know how to handle the meter before you buy. If you are a professional, it is good to go for the high quality, while new users can start with the simple multimeters.