There are so many multimeters with good features that retail for under 100$. With a guide like ours here, it will be easier for you to identify such. Ensure you carefully look at the features the multimeter has before purchasing.
We understand most people might be reluctant to go for cheap products. However, it is worth noting that not all expensive products are all that. The same applies to multimeters as well. Not all highly-priced multimeters will have the features you desire.
Table of Contents
Comparison Table: Best Multimeter Under 100$
1. Best Overall: Klein Tools MM400 Multimeter
- Multimeter measures up to 600V AC/DC voltage, 10A AC/DC current and 40 MOhms resistance
- Electrical tester measures temperature, capacitance, frequency, duty-cycle, and test diodes and continuity
- CAT III 600V safety rating
- Built to withstand a 3.3-foot (1 m) drop and withstand daily wear and tear on the job site
- Low battery indicator and easily accessible battery compartment
If you are looking for an affordable multimeter that will perform various functions, then this is it. For example, you can use the Klein MM400 multimeter to measure 40M resistance, temperature, duty-cycle, frequency, and capacitance, among others.
It is entirely safe to use a multimeter having a relatively high safety rating of CAT III 600V. Therefore, you can perform any test without worrying about your safety in case of any malfunction.
The Klein MM400 is also an ideal multimeter for automotive. That’s because of the robust build it comes in. So rigid is the build that this Klein multimeter can withstand a drop of up to 3.3 feet. Additionally, it is resistant to everyday wear and tear at job sites.
Klein MM400 multimeter runs on a battery that is reasonably accessible for faster changing. You can thus use this multimeter to make standard tests in a basic or controlled electromagnetic environment.
- The rugged build ensures it can survive one-meter drops
- The high safety rating makes it relatively safe to use
- It has a low battery indicator
- The rotary dial isn’t large enough, especially with the large housing
2. AstroAI Digital Multimeter TRMS 4000 Counts
- Digital Multimeter:WIDE RANGE of tests for AC/DC Voltage, AC/DC Current, Resistance, Continuity, Capacitance, Frequency and...
- Voltage Tester:PROFESSIONAL LEVEL features include Auto-Ranging capability, and True RMS for measuring both AC Current and...
- Easy to Use: Convenient features like Data Hold, Large LCD Backlit Screen, Kickstand, and Low Battery Indicator make taking...
- Capacitance & Resistance Meters:IDEAL FOR COMMERCIAL settings where it can handle the demands of a long workday, from the...
- Additional Tips：This Multimeter is designed to troubleshoot a variety of automotive and household electrical problems...
If you’re an electrician or possess even a passing interest in electrical matters, you must have heard of AstroAI. AstroAI is famed for the excellent quality tools they come up with.
If you are looking for an electrician multimeter, then AstroAI is best for you. The AstroAI digital multimeter is different since it will offer you auto-ranging measurements of all the standard tests.
You will not only use it to test continuity and resistance but also diodes and capacitance. For voltage, it tests in three modes. You can use it to test 1.5 Volts, 9 volts, and 12 volts batteries. It will light up in red if it detects low voltage and green if it detects enough voltage.
Another thing you will love with this multimeter is the fact you get to do non-contact tests. For example, the NCV function will help detect high voltage and show that with a red alarm light. Easy enough, right?
The large LCD is another feature that makes it easy to use. In addition, the display is backlit to ensure faster reading, even in poorly lit conditions. The flashlight function will also come in handy in that regard. You should be convinced with the AstroAI digital multimeters competence by now.
- It is versatile and can perform numerous standard tests
- Has a flashlight and backlit functions for easier readings
- The LED indicator makes it easy to detect voltage
- It lacks a protective case
3. Extech EX330 Autoranging Mini Multimeter
- Built in non-contact AC voltage detector (NCV)
- Transmitter and Receiver snap together for easy storage
- Cat III 600V UL listed
- Includes Type K temperature probe
- Rubber holster protects meter
How excellent would a multimeter that can measure temperature as well be? Well, that is what the Extech EX330 auto range multimeter will give you. Besides other tests like capacitance, resistance, and voltage, you can also test temperature. Related: Best home multimeter
What makes it such an excellent multimeter to use to test voltage is the inbuilt AC voltage detector. The detector is non-contact, thus allowing you to measure voltage faster without touching the device whose voltage you are testing.
Extech EX330 is also relatively compact. That means you can carry it with you anywhere in your pocket or in your car’s glove compartment. To make that easier, its receiver and transmitter can snap together.
Additionally, the wire probe it comes with is a general-purpose probe. That, in effect, means you can use the multimeter to test for most tests. It is the probe that makes it possible to test for temperature as well.
If you’re buying any tool, you’ll want to last for quite some time. That is why this tool will endear itself to you. It has a rubber holster that ensures it doesn’t sustain damage from any falls to the ground.
- General-purpose type K probe
- Rubber holster protector
- Compact and portable
- The backlight doesn’t stay on indefinitely
4. Innova 3340 Professional Digital Multimeter
- Designed to pinpoint engine problems; tests alternator diodes, duty cycle, solenoids, breaker points, wiring, switches and...
- Features auto-ranging, auto shut-off and over-load protection
- Measures up to 15 amps for device testing
- 10 MegOhm input impedance; safe for electrical and automotive use; prevents damage to the vehicle’s ECU
- Includes temperature probe, inductive RPM clamp and carrying case
The Innova 3340 digital multimeter boasts a sturdy design that will diagnose electrical faults faster. What makes it such a handy tool is that it comes with some innovations that make testing more efficient. For instance, it has auto-ranging and automatic shutoff functions that make it easier to use.
In addition to that, it also has overload protection. You thus won’t have to worry about it sustaining damage when you test overly strong voltage or AC current. That helps significantly in it measuring up to 15 amps when testing devices.
You will also be safe when using this multimeter, thanks to the overload protection. The overload protection will also help you prevent any damage to your vehicle’s ECU.
Another thing you will love about the Innova multimeter is the carrying case it comes with. You can carry it anywhere with the case. It also includes a temperature probe to add to the other tests you can do with it.
- It comes with a carrying case for easier portability
- It has overload protection for added safety
- Versatile and can test temperature as well
- The simple design makes it easy to use
- The beep when testing for continuity isn’t loud enough
5. Klein Tools MM600 Multimeter
- Multimeter measures up to 1000V AC/DC voltage, 10A AC/DC current and 40MOhms resistance plus temperature, capacitance,...
- Digital Mulimeter has CAT IV 600V / CAT III 1000V safety rating
- Built to endure a 6.6-foot (2 m) drop and withstand daily wear and tear on the job site
- Low battery indicator and easily accessible battery and fuse replacement compartment
- For use in basic and controlled electromagnetic environments such as residential, business and light-industrial locations
Klein Tools MM600 is one of the best HVAC multimeters. Klein is quite famous when it comes to making simple easy to use devices and tools. This multimeter is no different in that it has a simple design that’s relatively easy to use.
The Klein MM600 is also a safe-to-use tool. That’s because it has a safety rating of CAT III 1000V and CAT IV 600 V. You can thus be sure the risk of accidents is significantly less. It is also quite efficient and can test up to 1000V/ 10A of AC and DC voltage, 40M resistance, and frequency.
Another thing about this multimeter is that it is pretty rugged since it can survive a drop as high as two meters. That’s because of the sturdy material that makes it. It also means the tool can withstand the harshest work environments.
Even with a long-lasting battery, there are times you will be caught unawares by a low battery. That’s where this multimeter low battery indicator comes into play. In addition, the indicator will help you know when to change the battery.
- Rugged construction makes it durable and resistant to harsh work environments
- A low battery indicator helps know when to change the battery
- Versatile and is ideal for various standard tests
- It is easy and safe to use
- It cannot work for a continuous current of 6 amps or higher
6. ALLOSUN EM3082 Pocket Size Multimeter
- REMOVE battery INSOLATION beofore use. Auto range pocket size digital multimeter
- 3 1/2-digit LCD, with a max. Reading of 1999 multi meter digital
- Design for measuring DC and AC voltage, DC and AC current, resistance, diode and continuity.
- Built-in buzzer; polarity indication; data hold function; auto power off
- For international transport safety, batteries were insulated in the meter. Please remove the insulation sheet before using.
There is something about tools that you can throw into your back pocket and leave. You can take them anywhere with you and diagnose any automotive issue with you. The AlloSun EM3082 pocket size is a device you want to get if you need such flexibility.
It has a three-and-a-half-inch LCD that is so easy to read you’ll hardly struggle to see the readings. Moreover, the maximum reading of 1999 ensures you can measure most routine tests at home.
Additional features, including the inbuilt buzzer and the polarity indication, the auto-shutoff, and the data hold, make it relatively easy to use. The simple design also adds to the ease of use of this digital multimeter.
However, while a pocket multimeter would impress most users, who are always on the move, not all will be impressed.
- The extra-large LCD display makes reading easier
- It has an inbuilt buzzer and the polarity indication
- It has a simple design that makes it easy to use
- Compact and portable
- Accessing the battery is quite challenging
7. Proster Autoranging Multimeter 6000 Count
- 【6000 5/6 Digital Multimeter】LCD Display with 5999 and 2000uF, relative value measuring, maximal/minimal value measuring,...
- 【Extensive Multimeter】With this autoranging multimeter, it not only measures AC/DC Voltage and Current, Resistance,...
- 【Safety Security】Low Battery Voltage Indication, Overload Protection on all ranges, Data Hold Function, all these special...
- 【Protective Rubber Sleeve & Stand】Provide protection against knocks and bumps; Built-in support stand for hand free use;...
- 【Test Leads & Multimeter Carry Bag】Includes two AAA battery , a pair of test leads & K-type temperature probe, a Carry...
If you want a multimeter that will measure current and temperature, then Proster VC99 is the multimeter for you. It measures AC/DC Current and Voltage, frequency, and resistance and has a maximum/minimum value measuring ability. Besides that, it has auto and manual-ranging features.
When testing for the temperature, you can only test it in liquids using the probe it comes with. When the battery voltage is low, its unique alarm feature will ensure a low battery doesn’t sneak up on you. Also, it has a protective rubber sleeve and kickstand that allows you to use it hands-free.
You will also love the data hold function that helps keep the measurements on the screen long enough for you to record.
- Its data hold function that ensures data remains on display while recording
- Has two temperature measuring modes (Celsius and Fahrenheit)
- It comes with maximal and minimal values measuring the ability
- It is equipped with an auto-power off and warning alarm
- It does not have a backlight display to ease reading in the dark
What to Look for in a Multimeter Under 100$
Knowing which multimeter has the best features is only the first step. Next, you need to look at some factors to get the device that best suits your needs.
Accuracy- How Accurate Is it?
Frankly, an inaccurate multimeter wouldn’t appeal to most of us. But, on the other hand, faulty results can be hazardous, so you need to ensure you pick a multimeter as accurately as possible.
For that reason, it would be best if you consider multimeters with True RMS scales. These usually make more accurate readings for any test you make.
Ease of Use
No matter how useful a tool is, it all boils down to one thing: ease of use. The device should be easy to use. The ease of use will usually be dictated by features such as auto-ranging or auto shut-off options. The display also plays a significant role in whether a multimeter is easy to use or not.
Therefore, when selecting a multimeter, ensure you pick one that will give you as little trouble as possible using it. Fortunately, most multimeters aren’t usually that hard to use.
The ideal multimeter should be able to test various standard tests. What you don’t need is a multimeter that can only test a specific number of tests. Find more about the difference between DMM and DVOM multimeters.
Such a multimeter would limit your ability to use it. It might even lead to you getting another multimeter. Most of the multimeters here on our list can test very many functions, making them quite versatile. It would be best if you went for such multimeters to avoid any disappointments.
How Is the Display
The display is where you will see the readings for every test. That’s why you have to choose a multimeter that has a large display to ensure you don’t strain to see the readings.
It is even much better if the display is backlit since it means you won’t struggle to do readings even in dimly lit environments.
How Safe Is it?
Safety should be the number one consideration for any tool you buy—that isn’t any different for multimeters. A safe multimeter will prevent you from having to worry about any electric shocks as you use it. It would help if you thus went for one with some safety features to avoid any unavoidable accidents.
Is it a Rugged Device?
While we accept that no tool can have an unlimited lifespan, it shouldn’t be the type to sustain damage that easily. That is why you will need to choose a rugged multimeter. A rugged multimeter will withstand demanding work environments and survive drops.
FAQs: 4 Questions & Answers
Are cheap multimeters any good?
Yes, they are. There are several good deals on multimeters you can get on the market right. Not every good thing needs to be expensive.
How much is a cheap multimeter?
You can get a multimeter for as low as you can afford. However, to get the best deal on a cheap multimeter, you must consider those in the 40$ to 100$ range. Such devices will be affordable but won’t sacrifice performance.
Can a multimeter kill you?
While multimeters can be quite hazardous, they wouldn’t kill a person if you handle them disorderly. Only in extreme cases where the shock from the device you are testing is way too much can a multimeter cause considerable harm to a person.
But if you use the multimeter properly, then there will be no cause for worry.
How do I know if my multimeter is bad?
There are several things to look out for in a faulty multimeter. The most glaring one will be hugely inconsistent or false results. This one usually sticks out like a sore thumb. For example, if your multimeter has a light indicator but can’t see it working anymore, that could also point to it being faulty.
If you were at a crossroads over which multimeter to choose while operating on a shoestring budget, we hope we have helped you solve that issue.
Added features will come in handy for you when you are selecting a multimeter. Such features include auto-ranging capability, automatic shutoff, or even the ability to measure temperature in addition to the other tests.