Electricians face many challenges handling electric lines while at work. However, some tools like that make their work safe and easy. It helps you detect AC voltage without contact with wires making your work environment safe.
With this device, an electrician can determine whether an electric connection has an electric current within no time. So, for example, you can use the best non contact voltage tester on electrical sockets, doorbells, or outlets to light the connection.
Usually, a voltage tester has a sensor on its tip that monitors the electric current. If the conductor contains electric voltage, it will produce light on the display screen or a buzzing sound.
Comparison Table: Best Non Contact Voltage Tester
1. Best Overall: Fluke T6-1000
- Safety—Measure ac voltage, current, frequency without touching a live wire
- Faster answers—Troubleshoot with all power supply measurements at-a-glance
- More information—See ac voltage and current values at the same time
- Works where you need it—Fork fits over wires up to AWG 4/0 (120 mm2) with a 17.8 mm (0.7 inch) jaw opening
- Accurate on complex signals—True-rms measurements improve accuracy on non-linear loads
The fluke T6 voltage tester weighs 1 pound, and its body is made of plastic. It has a digital LED display making reading it easier.
It’s one of the best non-contact voltage testers you should consider for your electrical work from the fluke manufacturers. It’s safe to measure current or AC voltage without contact with a live wire. It also gives quick answers allowing you to fix power challenges faster.
The best thing about this tool is that it enables you to work anywhere as it can fit wires of AWG 4/0 and a jaw opening of 0.7 inches. It also gives accurate measurements on complex signals, which provides better results on nonlinear loads. Also Read: Best multimeter for homeowner
You can also use this device on darker workstations because it shows readings in these areas with the help of continuity lights. These lights make its screen turn green after it detects continuity. You will also get a constant ground connection using alligator clips and the ground lead.
- It gives quick answers
- It has continuity light for use in dark areas
- It’s safe to use
- It doesn’t have a digital screen
2. Best Running Up: Sperry Instrument STK001
- VERIFIES VOLTAGE PRESENSE: Verifies the presence of AC Voltage prior to working on electrical installation or troubleshooting...
- DURABLE: Hi-Impact Resistant ABS housing with soft over-molded rubber grips with a compact ergonomic design (GFI6302 and...
- QUICKLY READ: Bright color-coded neon lights for easy visual indication (GFI6302)
- CIRCUIT SENSING: Non-Contact sensitivity detects 50-1000V AC and patented battery self-test feature (VD6504)
- AUDIBLE AND VISIBLE INDICATOR: 360° visual and beeping audio Non-Contact Voltage Detection (VD6504)
The manufacturer of this voltage tester is Gardner Bender. Its dimensions are 2 by 6 by 9 inches making it an ideal size that is easy to carry around. The power source of this tester is the 1AA battery, and it weighs 4.8 ounces. You can also use this tool to do several electrical tasks at home as it’s a multi-tester.
The good thing about Sperry STK001 is that it’s durable, so you won’t spend money replacing or repairing it. This is because of the quality housing consisting of rubber grips and an ergonomic design.
In addition, it’s easier to read because of its bright color-coded neon lights that don’t strain your eyes. The screen display also allows you to use it in darker areas easily.
You can use it for sensing circuit sensitivity of around 50V to 1000V AC. Its indicator is clear with quality audio which warns you against danger and makes it easy to use.
It also has several CAT ratings improving its safety levels. Furthermore, you are sure of your safety while using this testing device as it doesn’t come into contact with live wire enabling you to install electrical equipment with ease.
- It’s durable and easy to use
- It’s multi-functional
- It has a high safety level
- It is weighty, making it hard to use for long hours.
3. Fluke Non Contact Voltage Tester: Fluke 1AC-A1-11
- Voltbeat technology and continuous self-test - so you always know it is working
- Upon detection, tip glows and beeper sounds
- CAT IV 1000 V for added protection
- Range 90-volt to 1000-volt
- 20-volt to 90-volt AC control circuit model also available
The Fluke 1AC-A1-II voltage tester’s dimension is 5.83 by 0.71 by 0.98 inches, and it weighs 2.08 ounces. Its power source is the 2AA battery, and it’s capable of saving energy.
This voltage tester is easy to use as it has touch-enabled features which allow you to touch the top and terminal strip while operating it. Its battery life is good enough, allowing you to use it for extended periods.
In addition, the fact that it doesn’t weigh much enables you to use it with ease, reducing the risks as with heavyweight voltage testers.
Fluke 1AC-A1-II has a voltage detection range of between 90vac and 1000vac. Because of the Volbeat technology, you can try it if it’s operational by yourself. This allows you to keep it safe and then test its effectiveness after a while.
Its tip will glow as the beeper produces sound when it detects the voltage. What makes it safe is the CAT IV 1000V which acts as an additional protector. Its power source is the 1AAA battery, which allows you to use it anywhere.
- It’s lightweight
- Good battery life
- It produces beeper sounds while the tip glows
- You might experience challenges removing the battery
4. Klein Tools NCVT-2 Dual Range Voltage Tester
- Voltage Tester automatically detects and indicates low voltage (12-48V AC) and standard voltage (48-1000V AC) allowing broad...
- Non-contact detection of standard voltage in cables, cords, circuit breakers, lighting fixtures, switches, outlets and wires
- Non-contact detection of low voltage in security, entertainment, communications, environmental control, and irrigation...
- High intensity, bright green LED indicates the tester is operational and aids in illuminating the workspace
- Dual Range testing, select 12-1000V AC or 48-1000V AC
Klein Tools NCVT-2 is made of plastic materials, and the power source is the 1AAA battery. It’s the best device you should go for if you’re looking for a tester that can detect low voltage like 12V.
But it can also detect standard voltage between 48 and 1000V AC making it multi-functional. This also means you can get accurate readings on different connections. For example, you can use it on switches, cords, or wires of standard voltage.
Klein Tools NCVT-2 has LED lights that are green but bright, which allows you to work in darker places. It best suits use in low-volt detection like irrigation, communication, and security systems.
Klein Tools NCVT-2 has a CAT rating of IV 1000 volts, allowing it to effectively work on expanded connection testing. In addition, this device is durable since it consists of high-quality plastic which also makes it strong.
The clip-on this tester allows you to store it safely in your pocket or anywhere else. It has an LED display that glows when the tester is functional. You can also use the LED display to see dark work areas.
- You can use it in dark places
- It comprises of quality materials
- It has a pocket clip
- It has a CAT rating of IV, making it quality
- It’s very sensitive while detecting electricity
5. Neoteck Non-Contact AC Voltage Tester
- 【Non-contact Voltage Tester】 Ranging 12-1000V AC, You can easily distinguish the live and null wire through different...
- 【Safe and Convenient】 The Voltage Pen Tester Detectes Voltage in a Non-Contact Way, So Do Not Worry about There Could be...
- 【High Efficiency】 As Long As Voltage is Detected, the Led in the Tester Pen will Shine
- 【Multifunction, Easy to Use】 It Also Acts as an Emergency Flashlight which can Illuminate the Working Area, You can Use...
- 【CE CAT III600V RoHS Certificate】 A Professional Tester, It is Perfectly Suitable also for DIY'ers, Hobbyists and Home...
This brand from Neoteck has a size of 6.54 by 2.32 by 1.26 inches, and its weight is 2.29 ounces. Its power source is the 2AA battery and has a voltage of 1000V. Its body material is ABS and the display of LED.
You can use this non-contact AC voltage tester which works differently from the ones above, to test voltage in wire connections. It enables you to differentiate between the live and null wires as it produces varying alarm sounds and indications on the LED. It’s safe and easy to use, reducing the possibility of electric shock.
It’s a multi-use device that works as a torch in dark areas and allows you to use it on switches or outlets. This tester is also highly effective, and once it detects voltage, it will shine. So although it’s best for professional use, you can also use it for your DIY projects around the house.
- It’s has a LED display that provides light in dark areas
- It’s multi-functional
- It lights up and produces sounds automatically after detection
- It can cover a wider voltage range in a standard electric system
- Its battery drains off when not in use
6. Milwaukee 2202-20 Voltage Tester
- Voltage Detector W/Led Light
- The product is easy to use and easy to handle
- The product is highly durable
Milwaukee 2202-2- is also amongst the best voltage testers that weigh 3.04 ounces, and its dimensions 2 by 8 by 1 inch. Its power source is the 2AAA battery and AC 12V TO 1000V, while its display is LED. The LED display allows you to use it in a dark work environment with ease as you’ll not strain reading the results.
Milwaukee 2202-2- is an easy-to-use voltage tester that lasts longer because of its design and size. In addition, you will not have challenges handling it as it’s a smaller and lightweight Voltage tester. Milwaukee voltage tester is also cheaper and easier to use as you only push the button and detect voltage.
- It’s easy to use
- It has a pocket clip for convenience
- It has an LED light, good for use in dark areas
- It is not that accurate
7. Best Voltage Tester for Home Use: QUUL
- Features: sound and light screen alarm, zero line recognition, breakpoint detection.
- Safe electrical measurement 50MM space detection, the S key, no need to touch objects, greatly improving safety.
- Intelligent identification of zero fire line, strong and wear-resistant insulation design.
- With LED flashlight lighting, it supports dim environment detection. When dark night conditions or corners are insufficient,...
- It will automatically shut down if there is no operation for 15 minutes. The tester has low energy consumption and is easy to...
You can use this tester to test voltage electrical wires between 12v and 1000v. It’s easy to use and gives accurate measurements helping you perform better at your work. It can also differentiate three strong, low, and moderate voltage levels with no contact. This allows you to tweak its detection range depending on your needs and get accurate readings.
You can use this tester to test voltage electrical wires between 12v and 1000v. It’s easy to use and gives accurate measurements helping you perform better at your work. Epsilont also allows you to tweak its detection range depending on your needs and get accurate readings.
Epsilont tester contains polycarbonate plastic, so you won’t worry about replacing it soon. The cover also makes it easy to carry around and to different places without losing it. Furthermore, this tester ensures you’re safe as it works without coming into contact with live wires.
You can also use it on darker work areas as it comes with a torch that switches off automatically to save energy. The display screen is also easy to read and used in darker places. It weighs 1.76 ounces which makes it lightweight.
- It’s an energy saver
- It’s lightweight
- It can detect voltage using three range levels
- It allows you to change the detection range
- It doesn’t have a sensitivity switch
- Not good for use in cables that are next to each other
8. Non Contact Voltage Tester Lowe’s: eOUTIL
- Electricity Measurement Pen---This unit is a non-contact AC voltage detector for detecting 60V-1000V AC voltage.Safety...
- Safe＆Reliable---Insulation operation ensures the safety of testing.You can use this non-contact AC voltage detection to...
- Illumination Function---Special sensing tip with flashlight, light white for illumination when pressing flashlight button...
- Red light＆Buzzer---When it detects AC voltage, detection light will flash red and buzzer will sound short beeps. Durable...
- What You Get---High-quality product, the unit has ETL safety Certificate and conforms to national standards.High-quality...
eOUTIL is a tester pen that you can use to measure the voltage between 60v and 1000v AC. Its safety level meets the required standard of CAT IV, CE. It’s also well insulated, making it safe for use when detecting the voltage in cables, and wires with AC volts.
If it detects electric volts, it will radiate on the sensing edge that has a torch. You can work in darker areas with eOUTIL as it produces white light if you press the torch button tightly. Also, if this device detects voltage, it will make buzzing sounds and red lights.
What makes it last long is the ABS casing that’s also strong and of high quality. In addition, it has a pocket clip that prevents you from losing it while at work.
The weight and size allow you to store and carry it easily while its power source is the 1AAA battery. You can replace the battery anytime you press the cover and place it back in the body after correctly connecting them.
- It’s safe and easy to use
- It has a flashlight enabling you to use it in dark work areas
- It’s durable as it consists of an ABS casing
- It can only test AC voltage and not DC voltage
9. Amprobe-2734332 Voltage Detector Pin
- Non-contact voltage tester for detecting A) voltage on cables, circuit breakers, wall sockets, junction boxes, and other...
- Average-sensing meter helps provide accurate readings when measuring linear loads with a current or voltage that has a...
- Tester illuminates when AC voltage is detected
- Measures AC voltage from 50 to 1000V
- Safety rated to European Standard 61010-031 Category III 1000V
You can use an Amprobe-2734332 voltage tester to detect voltage on sockets on the wall, cables, or circuit breakers. It works best in sensing average meters, giving accurate results, especially if you measure the linear load having a current sinusoidal wave shape. It can detect AC voltage of between 50v and 1000v.
Amprobe-2734332 meets the safety standards of cat III 1000V, ensuring you’re safe while working. It also glows whenever it has detected AC voltage reducing the chances of injuries. Its power source is corded electric, although it can use the 2AAA battery.
Amprobe-2734332 weighs 0.704 ounces, meaning it’s lightweight. It has the perfect size for the shirt pocket; hence you don’t have to look for more extensive storage space.
It’s also insulated with no conductive or visible metal parts making it safe for use. It has an LCD (liquid crystal display) and a 199999-maximum reading, making it easy to read in darkness.
- It’s reliable and accurate
- It has a perfect size giving easy time storing
- It’s multi-functional
- It meets European safety standards meaning you’re safe using it
- It has no sound or flashlight alarms
- It can’t detect voltage in coated cables
10. JASTIND 3-48V Low Voltage & Light Tester
- 【3-48v Wide Range】 3-48v widely use digital circuit tester/circuit test light, designed to check car vehicle electrical...
- 【Computer Safe Accurate Backlight Digital Display】 Resolution to .1V voltage reading on white backlight LCD digital...
- 【Quality Made And Heavy Duty】 Constructed with acetate fiber body, more toughness and shatter-proof than normal material....
- 【Portable Pu Spring For Easy Operation】 Portable high quality max extended to 140 inch long enough PU spring wire,...
- 【Free 100% Lifetime Satisfaction Guarantee】We always stand behind our products with lifetime customer satisfaction...
JASTIND 3-48V voltage tester from Tianchang Zhaohong instruments is mainly used to monitor the electric circuit in cars or wire connections between 3v and 48v.
JASTIND is very accurate and shows its reading on the LCD digital display. Although it’s not a pocket-size, it’s portable, allowing you to carry it wherever you go. In addition, it has a 3.6-meter spring that will enable you to move around with ease while at work.
You can use it to work on areas that are not easily penetrated as it has sharp rust-free steel that can pierce wires. It’s made of acetate fiber and shatters strong materials, making it durable. It also weighs 8 ounces allowing you to carry it with ease.
You can also use JASTIND to detect voltage in automotive charging, ignition, or battery charging systems. It has a measuring range of DC between 3-48v and a voltage accuracy level of 0.5v. You can read or use it in dark areas with ease through the backlight display. It also comes with a 140-inch spring wire extension, so you’ll have an easy time using it in distant regions.
- It has a high accuracy level digital display
- It consists of high-quality materials hence durable
- It’s portable
- It comes with an extension spring cord that allows you to move around with ease
- It doesn’t have alarms
- It only works on low-voltage cars.
Buyer’s Guide For Best Non Contact Voltage Tester
Before buying any voltage detector pen, there are factors you should consider. Here are the main factors you need to look at to get the best tester;
Ideally, you consider your safety while using these testers since you’ll be working on live electric currents that can electrocute you. In equipment, the safety level is rated according to the category level.
Either your device has a CAT I, II, or IV rating, which is the safest level. However, don’t settle for a safety level less than CAT III if you want to buy a voltage detector pen.
Apart from the CAT category, it would help to consider the maximum voltage of the device you use. The non-contact voltage detector has a maximum voltage ranging between 600v and 1000v. You’ll be safe with this as it will also protect you against overvoltages.
You should also check the design of the equipment to have an easy time handling or carrying it around. You should in this line consider its size as you’ll not love carrying a bigger tool or a weighty device. If you can, go for the ones with clips that can easily fit your pockets.
It’s advisable to go for a device with adjustable sensitivity to meet your requirements. Doing this will reduce the chances of having false positives and ensure the voltage you’re monitoring.
Some testers give value for your money, while others don’t. To avoid spending much, work within your budget but don’t forget to check the features you’re looking for in the device.
Although popular brands are expensive, it’s advisable to go for them, especially when working on electricity. Remember, electric currents can electrocute you, something that’s not safe at all. But with famous brands, you’re sure of adherence to production standards.
Voltage Range Detection
Don’t forget to check on the detection range of the device you’re about to buy. You can either go for a high voltage detection device that works on switches, low voltage, or AC suitable for doorbells.
But if you can afford the dual-range voltage detection tester, the better. Some of the devices also switch the ranges automatically, giving you an easy time.
Another thing you should also consider in a tester is the voltage display. Having the best tester that can’t allow you to see the readings is not worth it. Most of these devices have an LED display at the tip. The LED will light up if you place the device near the electromagnetic field.
These testers can also show the presence of voltage through buzzing sounds. If you can, go for the one with both audible and illuminating alarms so that you reduce your chances of misinterpreting the results.
Before you settle for a tester, check if it can perform other functions too. For example, apart from your tester pin showing you the current level, you can use it as a torch. Others also act as thermometers which reduce the costs of purchasing additional tools.
Can a non contact voltage tester work on direct current?
No. These devices can’t do this. They only detect electromagnetic field that comes from AC. Direct Current (DC) can’t create a similar electromagnetic field, making them unsuitable for DC work.
What’s the difference between a voltage tester and a multimeter?
Voltage testers detect whether there’s voltage or not, while multimeters measure how much voltage is in a circuit. Also, a voltage tester doesn’t need to touch the wires and terminals to work. But multimeters have to be in contact with the wires by connecting the probes with the circuit.
Are you safe using the voltage tester?
You’ll be safe using these devices. First, however, you’ve got to get a quality device that’s well-insulated with no visible metal or conductor. Also, whenever you notice any default, get a newer one that won’t put your life at risk.
How will I know if the tester is functional?
The first thing you’ll notice is light on the LED display if this device comes near an electric current. This is because the magnetic field activates its sensors, allowing you to identify if the wire you’ve got has voltage.
Look at its functionality, price, or size. You should also check on its sensitivity features and dual-range voltage detection beforehand to get accurate results. In our review, you can go for Klein Tools NCTT-2, which has a double detection range and can perform on low or high voltages.
It also switches the ranges automatically, allowing you to work with ease. A non-contact tester device is ideal for both a professional and a DIYer who wants to fix minor electric faults around the home.
If you’re a professional, you’ll require a device that delivers up to your expectations and ease. It would help if you also looked for a durable tool that won’t break each time eating your money. Accuracy for a professional is also key to check for a tester that will not disappoint you.
Don’t limit your device to a specific sensitivity or range so that you can work anywhere anytime without changing the device. But pricing is also essential as you need value for your money. So don’t spend too much on a device that performs or meets your standards.